Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Don’t Let Fear Keep You From Experiencing Something Fantastic!


“Do one thing a day that scares you!”
Eleanor Roosevelt



Some people resist change while others crave it. Are you one of those people who thrive on a regular routine? The fear of the unknown can push people in to a monotonous routine, day after day. Some people are so fearful of change that when they go out to dinner they order the same thing, just to be safe.

I can hear it now when my Mom and Aunt Sandy read this blog…they will be saying…this is coming from the little girl who would not try any new foods. Yes, I know but things change and so have I.

It wasn’t until my early 40’s that I started to eat healthy and working out. When I did I realized that there was not much healthy food that I liked. Vegetables were not a staple in my diet at all! However, I decided that even though I might have tried these things when I was younger…I am different now. My tastes have matured and I really needed to pay attention to my diet.

Let me just say that there is not much I won’t try now. Every time we go to a new restaurant I

look for something different on the menu. While my fiancé is not as brave as me with food, he will at least give it a try. I have started ordering different appetizers for us to try. It is the perfect way to try a small portion of something new.

But food is only a small piece of what I mean when I say…try something new. I find myself doing new and exciting things all the time now. There was a time when I was comfortable in my life and trying something new was not enticing at all. I started to feel like I was missing out on things in life and I felt bored and in a rut. Although I made some drastic changes in my life, you don’t have to in order to spice things up.

How many of you have a bucket list? Isn’t that like a “do something different or new” list? It is sorta the same, right? Most people put things on their bucket list because they want to try them before they die. If you haven’t done it yet, is it because of fear? Or is it because of money?


Whatever your reason, your bucket list gives you the opportunity to try something new and different. But wait…what if you lived your entire life like that? What if you tried new things constantly? 


Always be open to try new things. Don’t let fear keep you from experiencing something fantastic.

How do you know you won’t like something until you try it? 

Here is 5 suggestions to help you be amazing:


1. Challenge yourself to something new. 

You can do something new once a week, once a month, once a quarter, whatever you decide. The more you try new things, the more you grow and experience.


2. Try new things with a partner.

When you have someone who is willing to take risks with you, the fear subsides. Having someone to share a new food, sport or even a new clothing style can eliminate the apprehension of doing something alone.

3. Don’t get so comfortable.

That’s right…I said don’t be too comfortable. The more comfortable we get the more we are resistant change. There is one thing that we all know and that is the old saying, “Nothing ever stays the same…” People who relish comfort ability often find it hard to change when the need arises.

4. Be Bold!

If you could do anything in the world, without worry or fear, what would you do? Would you start a business…would you go sky diving…would you travel to a foreign country? Take risks and reap the rewards. Just remember that taking risks is very different than being reckless.

5. Let go of old thoughts or ideas.

I know this is easier said than done, but trust me it works. The next time something comes into your mind that is preventing you from trying something new…talk yourself through it. For instance, if you are afraid to try a food based on what you think it taste like…ask yourself…have I ever tried this before? If not you have nothing to base your fear on…so try a small bite. It doesn’t hurt you and it is a millisecond of your life…what do you have to loose?

No comments:

Post a Comment